Tuesday, December 25, 2007

I have been spending alot of $$ on books lately.
I have bought 6 books so far, just over the last 3 days.
Got another 2 books for my birthday.
Have another 4 books waiting for me to finish reading (I have started a few chapters each).
So all in all, 12 books.

I know I will be kept very busy during this short holiday break.
And I am enjoying every bit of it.
I am determined to pack a book or two and head down to a cafe and read them while sipping my favourite drink.

My love for words started in my ITE days.
I don't speak very good English then (not that I speak very well now. Haha).
Fortunately, I got to know four very "ang-moh" frens.
For a while, I felt intimidated in front of them.
Yet, I am captivated by their use of the English language.
And I knew that one day, I want to be able to speak like them.

Knowing my limitations, my friends didnt tease me.
In fact, I recall fondly, how they often encouraged and praised me when I speak good English.
That somehow, motivated me and begin my love relationship with words and reading.

The most important advice I got from my friends is never to fear speaking up or make mistakes and to put new words/phrases that I learnt into immediate use whenever I can.
And it has produces positive results over the years.

I am encouraged by feedback from friends who read my prayer letters.
That I have a interesting way of expressing myself and they have enjoyed reading it as much as I have enjoyed writing it.
Maybe one day, when I retire, I shall write a book.
Haha.

Dear God, thank you for giving me the capacity and ability to read and recognise words.
Words are such important part of our life.
They are the means by which we communicate with one another and with You.
Help me not to take this ability for granted but to use it wisely and meaningfully.

Posted by missyew at 9:53 PM