Tuesday, December 11, 2007
I am reading "Living on the Ragged Edge" by Charles Swindoll now.
Interesting book.
It's supposed to be meant for those who are dying to know the ultimate secret for the 'good life'.
For those who want to know how to find joy and peace in this world that has gone mad.
A very down-to-earth book that draws lesson from Ecclesiastes.
An excerpt..
(page 105)
"And then comes what our generation has termed the "midlife crisis". This has been described as a time of intense personal evaluation, when frightening and disturbing thoughts surge through the mind. We start questioning who we are and why we are here and why everything matters so much. It is a period of self-doubt and disenchantment with everything - everything familiar and stable. The mind plays tricks on us. We entertain terrifying thoughts that can't be admitted or revealed even to those closest to us. And, I repeat, our loneliness borders the unbearable."
It is exactly how I am feeling now, unfortunately.
(page 140)
"What in the world is a vow if it isn't a commitment to accountability? What is a commitment if it isn't saying to our heavenly Father and to others, "I will carry this out, painful and difficult though it may be." Be careful about relieving all commitments so that you can be "free". That's dangerous. It is also unbiblical.
Don't decide now and deny later. Don't allow yourself to worm out of something you once took seriously in the presence of God. You haven't the right to say..
"You know what? Uh..that..commitment back then was a mistake"
"I was pretty young back then. I guess it's what you'd call a 'youthful mistake'"
This is exactly what puzzled me - why we can be flippant with our promises.
Posted by missyew at 8:39 PM
About me
:: Commonly known as Ms Yew or ζζδΈ
:: Hangs out at the bathroom, in the bedroom, on the couch and inside the fridge
:: Helpless without God, family, food, frens, books, pillow, ezlink and my lappy
Links
My fav
Archives
Yak Here
Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix
Credits