Wednesday, October 24, 2007
I was recently "invited" to join Facebook by a couple of friends.
Usually I ignored such invitation.
Until my fren, XH, told me that it's for the young and youthful.
Hey, isn't that talking about me? Haha.
So how can I not have a part in it?
But it's really complicated and confusing.
With all the vampires, slayers and counter-strike invitation.
Hugs, punches, kicks, tickles and what have you.
I am totally lost.
Most people join such social utility to connect with old and new friends.
There is this strong voice crying out our desire to build relationship.
Or it is just a facade?
Do we really care who we are connected with?
Or are we trying to show that we are well-liked, with many friends on our network?
I was talking to two foreign students over the last two weeks.
And they both shared with me a common struggle.
They have difficulty making friends with their Singaporean classmates. Ouch!!
No one is willing to help them when they face difficulties.
Especially in their study as they dont really understand English very well.
They were practically left on their own all the time.
Their only friends were their own countryman.
So when my colleague and me offered to help a PRC gal to find lodging and tutor for her study, she almost teared.
Another Vietnamese gal I talked to, said to me ..
"I only have one Singaporean friend so far, thank you for being willing to be my friend."
Isnt it sad to hear this?
I wouldnt want such reception if I were ever posted overseas for study or assignments.
Technology hasnt draw us nearer to each other (even with msn, emails, skype).
It only distant us from each other.
In our search to build a stronger network.
We have neglected the very people so near to us who needs our help.
People who genuinely wish to be connected with us.
Posted by missyew at 9:19 PM
About me
:: Commonly known as Ms Yew or ζζδΈ
:: Hangs out at the bathroom, in the bedroom, on the couch and inside the fridge
:: Helpless without God, family, food, frens, books, pillow, ezlink and my lappy
Links
My fav
Archives
Yak Here
Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix
Credits